Acupressure – is a method of reflexology. It appeared in the Ancient Orient. This type of massage is a complex of actions (certain actions) on biologically active points, based on a thorough knowledge of the properties and location of acupuncture points on the human body. There are several methods of application of massage in oriental medicine (Chinese medicine, Tibetan medicine).
Acupressure has a strong effect of treatment and contributes to the cure of many chronic diseases. In addition to the benefic effects on human physical health the massage has a toning and recovery effect on the human body. Usually it improves the emotional state, it normalizes the sleep, it appears the feeling of ease and flexibility in the body, there is a wave of vitality.
Acupressure as a type of treatment affects the basis of body activity as an integrated system. It has long been known that acting in the process of the massage on specific acupuncture point (active point) with different efforts (sedation – pronounced intensity of action on the point or toning – minimal or moderate effort), it is possible to achieve therapeutic effect, aimed at a particular organ or organs system to improve the functioning of these bodies or to relieve the pain. Compared with acupuncture the acupressure has the following features:
- A doctor of oriental medicine performs the acupressure therapy only with hands. He, in most of cases, simply “feels” the acupuncture point with his fingers. In practice of massage the action zone is much greater than with acupuncture, which also virtually eliminates the chance of error. A doctor by his actions, during massage can focus on the reverse reaction of the patient’s: sensations, pains level. The pain in acupressure certainly exists, but it must not be excessive. One of our doctors, describes a possible upper limit of pain: “The patient may have pains in acupressure, but this pain should bear within itself a feeling that when it finally ends (as it is about to end, he feels it), immediately after this, he must come complete bliss”.
- When you activate the acupuncture point through massage, the point itself and nearby tissue is not injured, that is inevitable in the case of acupuncture.
- Administration of the activation process (depending on purpose – toning or sedation of acupuncture point) is much easier in the case of acupressure than in the case of acupuncture.
- Some patients are afraid of needles – in this case the acupuncture simply is excluded and as the primary method of treatment is used the acupressure.
- Acupressure requires much more time of action (in total) than acupuncture because the points are processed in sequence (for example, working with several points may take up to an hour), in the case of acupuncture all the points necessary for treatment are activated simultaneously, namely in parallel.
Acupressure is suitable for people of all ages. We use the method of acupressure in the treatment of respiratory diseases, asthma, gastritis, headache, urogenital and endocrine system diseases, hypotonia (low muscle tone), cardiovascular disease, varicose veins, nerve disorders and many other diseases.